Plastics give us a lot in exchange for very little
PLASTIGAUR is one of the companies that, together with Spanish and European associations, has participated in the launch of the “Don’t Blame Plastic” publicity campaign to explain to society the advantages of plastic and to raise awareness of the importance of making good use of this material.
In recent years, there have been a number of extreme reactions towards plastic that have encouraged people to reject it and even ban it. For this reason, the plastics industry has joined forces to highlight 10 benefits of this type of material.
- They are materials that are completely safe in terms of health
Plastic is currently the most regulated material and the one that is subject to the most demanding regulations. It is not a toxic material.
- They preserve food and reduce food waste
The use of plastic containers reduces food wastage and energy consumption. The loss of products in Europe is only 3% thanks to the use of suitable packaging products.
- They save lives
They are the material that has contributed most to progress over the last 100 years. An example of this is modern medicine, which cannot be achieved without plastics.
- They have long-lasting uses
Plastic is used in cars, homes, mobiles, etc., in other words, in other words, in products with a long lifespan and which account for more than 60% of all plastic material applications.
- They do not deplete oil reserves
Contrary to popular belief, only 4% to 6% of European oil consumption is devoted to the production of plastic, with the benefit that the resulting products have an energy-saving capacity that compensates for the outlay.
- They save energy
Plastics use very little energy in their production phase and save a lot of energy in their use phase. It is therefore a great product in terms of saving critical natural resources.
- Banning plastics is not the solution
To eliminate rubbish in the environment, the solution is to raise awareness. In order to make the most of the advantages of plastic, we must prevent these and other products from being dumped into the environment.
- Your responsible behaviour avoids marine waste
80% of marine litter comes from the land. Education, raising awareness and increasing the number of waste containers are some of the solutions to this problem.
- Single-use plastics are essential
Single-use plastic applications meet our needs and are essential in terms of hygiene, safety and food preservation.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, everyone’s responsibility
Plastics are recyclable materials that contribute to the Circular Economy. For their recycling and use, it is important to separate the waste correctly and not to dispose of it into the environment.
Don’t Blame Plastic! We citizens are part of the solution to this serious problem. What can we do?
- Separate the waste we generate by using different containers.
- Take advantage of the tremendous energy potential contained in plastics. It is an alternative source of available energy.
- Reduce the consumption of plastic bags. Let’s put the three Rs into practice: reduce their use, reuse them and close the circle by recycling them and giving them a second life.
- Responsible use of waste at the end of the life of each product.
In short, plastic gives us a lot in exchange for very little. The rejection or banning of it is not a realistic solution at present, because it would force us, as a society, to forgo all its advantages, from its versatility and durability to its contribution to the creation of new jobs.
Thus, PLASTIGAUR will continue to actively participate in the implementation of educational, supportive and sustainable initiatives for the appropriate use of plastic.